The Castle of Mijane was built in the early 18th century on an old Gallo-Roman site, situated just outside the medieval city of Carcassonne, the Canal du Midi, closely linking its history to it. The Canal du Midi built in the 17th century by Pierre-Paul Riquet, had intended to connect the Atlantic (Bordeaux) to the Mediterranean (Sete) for the transport of passengers, cargo and mail. At its creation, the boats are pulled by horses walking on the paths of hallages. This type of transport is then considered modern for its time because of its regularity, comfort, safety and speed which is an improvement compared to the road (travel time from 4 days to connect Toulouse to Sète, in start will be reduced to 32 hours in 1855 through the replacement of horses every 10 km). For more than a century and a half, the Canal du Midi was a real tool for development of the wine trade without competition until the arrival of the railroad. At that time, the Castle of Mijane, also serves as a relay for a stop to the men and horses. The Castle of Mijane extends over a hundred hectares, including 30 hectares of vineyards, along the Canal du Midi and at the foot of the medieval city of Carcassonne. This confers membership in two appellations AOC Cabardès city of Carcassonne.